 Off-Topic / Geek / 1686
Re: Desktops with SCSI RAM?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 16:25:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Miller writes:
Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote:
36gb hd.  $540 versus the $160 or so I paid for my ATA66 drive.  To give me,
as a gamer, probably no measurable performance increase.  That $400+ will be
better spent on a GeForce 2 or maybe towards a 21" monitor.

Probably true for gamers, and certainly for someone who just wants to browse
the web / do office stuff. People just shouldn't say that IDE performs as
well as SCSI without some serious clarification. It reminds me of a computer
expert friend of my dad's who told me when I was in jr. high that I didn't
really need the power of a 286. :)

Ok, I'll be a little clearer.  For the vast majority of people, and that's
including ME, and I own more computers that I use for more purposes than
probably 99% of the computer owning population - everything from gaming to web
serving to mp3 playing to whatever, the performance difference that SCSI would
offer over IDE for MOST tasks is not worth the premium price.

I make a lot more money this year than I did last year.  Spending an extra
$500-$1000 on this latest new computer wouldn't have mattered much to me.
Speedfreak that I am, geek that I am, hardware fool that I am, I couldn't
justify the expense.  And I would go so far as to say that most people who
_aren't_ doing compiling or video or intensive graphics stuff can't really
justify the expense either, not for a personal machine to sit in front of and
use.

And I'm writing this on my work machine - a P3-450 with 256 megs of ram, a
2940U2W with 2 7200rpm IBM LVD SCSI drives in it, in addition to the 27 gig
ATA66 drive it came with.  I slapped the controller and drives in it from
another machine (and most importantly, I didn't _pay_ for them, work did)
primarily because I copy a lot of gigabyte files back and forth from my
machine to various servers.  For other things, these drives and that
controller would have been a _waste_ of money.  :)