 Off-Topic / Geek / 1132
1131  |  1133
Subject:
Ripping Vinyl to Digital
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 19:58:04 GMT

Has anyone transferred their LP's to MP3 or CD audio?  I'm just getting started,
and I'd appreciate any hints, tips or warnings!

What I've done so far:

I've patched the tape-out on my amplifier to the line-in on my sound card.
Since I'm running Win98 on the home box, I only record during times when the
computer is not in use.  All non-essential processes are shutdown.  I'm using
GoldWave <http://www.goldwave.com> to capture the analog signal to digital.
After recording one side of record, I normalize the .wav output, and split it
into individual track-files.  Then I convert to MP3 using Xing's encoder.

Since the computer is in use almost all the time, I can only capture one album
per day (one side at night, the other in the morning).

Eventually, I'll borrow a CD-R drive, and dump full sets of MP3 files to CD-ROM.

Since Kristin would rather have audio, I'll skip the MP3 step for her music, and
create audio CD's.

So far, it's going alright.  The sound is acceptable, although a bit muffled.
I'll have to play with GoldWave's EQ, to see if I can fix things up either pre-
or post-recording.  I haven't burned a CD yet.  Because I don't have that many
MP3 files, and because I'm cheap enough to wait for a really good deal on CD-Rs.

Steve