 Off-Topic / Geek / 1139
Re: Ripping Vinyl to Digital
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 21:08:43 GMT

Kevin,

Kevin Maynes wrote:

Keep in mind thought that MD's use ATRAC compression, which is a bit lossy.

Hmm... I am not an audio junkie, so if you say so, alright!

Most people won't notice any serious difference with most music, but some
diehard audiophiles (the kind who'll spend $2K on an amplifier kit using vacuum
tubes) have a problem with that.

Yikes!

Don't get me wrong, I have an MD as well (Sharp rules! :) and it's great I tell
you, darn great!

My roommate has a Sharp, I have bought two Sony (MZ-R55 and the player
only, my fiancée has it now) and I have the MD player in my Suburban and
her Shadow. I figured, well, since I have it, why can't see have it as
well? I just bought an AIWA player to try it out, I like the controls on
it better.

I just wouldn't use it for high-end studio recording of
one-time performances. That small loss is the _only_ downside. And a small one
at that. Well, that and the fact that it's so hard to come by in North America.

Yes, I bought mine at Best Buy and on-line. There are a bunch of sites
for MD's, at least.

The MD will probably only come into its own on this continent once somebody
comes up with a PC-based MD-drive that can do audio as well, much like CD-R
systems. That's what I'm waitin' for. A blank MD can store up to 160MB of audio
information, or 140MB of digital data. And they're a fair bit cheaper than zip.

YES! I have been waiting for that as well. I would love to have a drive
for it.

Scott S.
Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com