 Off-Topic / Geek / 1138
Re: Ripping Vinyl to Digital
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 20:40:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
Steve,

I have not looked too close, but you can get that CD duplicator that is
a stand alone unit. It might have a line-in on it. I have been using a
Minidisc system from Sony. It is a really sweet system, and I can put
anything on it, from Digital CD's to tape to anything else. Here is a
link:

http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/md/

It is an awesome technology, a bit expensive, but I love it!

Scott S.

P.S. No, I don't sell them or get paid for it, I just love my MD
systems! :)

Keep in mind thought that MD's use ATRAC compression, which is a bit lossy.
Most people won't notice any serious difference with most music, but some
diehard audiophiles (the kind who'll spend $2K on an amplifier kit using vacuum
tubes) have a problem with that.
Don't get me wrong, I have an MD as well (Sharp rules! :) and it's great I tell
you, darn great! I just wouldn't use it for high-end studio recording of
one-time performances. That small loss is the _only_ downside. And a small one
at that. Well, that and the fact that it's so hard to come by in North America.
The MD will probably only come into its own on this continent once somebody
comes up with a PC-based MD-drive that can do audio as well, much like CD-R
systems. That's what I'm waitin' for. A blank MD can store up to 160MB of audio
information, or 140MB of digital data. And they're a fair bit cheaper than zip.

K.M.