 Off-Topic / Geek / 1519
Re: Ripping Vinyl to Digital
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 16:34:44 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Steve Bliss writes:
Has anyone transferred their LP's to MP3 or CD audio?  I'm just getting • started,
and I'd appreciate any hints, tips or warnings!

Following-up my initial post with some experience and recent findings.

First off: CompUSA has a special on CD-Rs, today only.  I don't have the
newspaper ad with me, but the deal is a 5pack of 74min discs, free after
rebate, 1 per customer.  I believe the initial outlay is $8.00.  Judging from
the ad, these come with jewel cases.  I wonder if my CompUSA has any in stock?

Another CompUSA, today-only deal: 50 80min discs, $5.00 after rebate.  No
jewel cases, initial cost is $12 or %15.

Also, today I found two great webpages, one is the CD-R FAQ, and the other is
a page about transferring LP's to CD-R.

CD-R FAQ: <http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq>
LP to CDR Tips: <http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~abcomp/lp-cdr.htm>

OK, back to my on-going LP-to-CDR odyssey:

I burned my first CD-R about a week ago.  It went like a champ.  Almost lost
it in the last 5 minutes of burning, when Kristin went to check e-mail.
Intercepted her just in time.

I was *extremely* careful to get my mp3 files well-organized before burning.
Including ID3 tags.  WinAmp is my primary playback device, and it seems to
enqueue tracks based on the order of files in the disc's directory (instead of
enqueuing sorted by filename or some other method).  So I made sure to build
the directories with the songfiles in the proper order.

I reported before that I was somewhat unhappy with the EQ of the recorded
material.  I didn't mess with the EQ before burning, as WinAmp can adjust EQ
on the fly.  And I didn't have a good software tool to do EQ tweaking.

GoldWave does batch EQ processing:  you set the desired EQ change, then apply
it a selection of your file.  If you don't like the results, hit Undo, and try
again.  Maybe I'm fussy, but this is an awkward interface for tuning the EQ
settings.

I realized after I burned the CD-R that I c/should have created an autorun.inf
that would launch a basic HTML index to the disc.  Oh, well.  Not a big deal.

My MP3 files are adequate for basic listening.  I'm not an audiophile, but I
don't want to be accused of being sonically indiscriminate, either.  Listening
on the headphones, it's obvious the signal has suffered from loss of quality.
I don't think this was caused by the post-processing, more it was the old
cartridge on my turntable, or the fact that I used my (mediocre) soundcard as
the A/D converter.  If I get spare cash I look into an external A/D converter,
if my soundcard will support one (doubtful).[1]

That's it for now...

Steve
--
1) Heck, who am I kidding?  If I get any spare cash, I'll buy LEGO. :)