 Off-Topic / Fun / 986
Re: Geektalk.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 21:29:31 GMT

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999 20:22:09 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:

Tried 2.05?

Hrmmm, actually no.  I will as soon as this massive ftp is done,
though, and report back.  :)

heh. At the moment, i don't seem to be able to start zMUD anymore.
I'll have to see what happens if I set the thing back to 300, but I
'spect it's something else.

Hmm.. At 2.0, I locked immediately, 2.05, got me a lock within an
hour, and now at 2.1 *appears* to be running alright..

Cool.  Anything 2.2 and below should be fine.  Most people I know
doing this (about 12 or so with probably twice as many machines) fall
into the 2.05-2.1 catagory.

Do you happen to know a particularly demanding testsuite, that's easy
to download, so I can test just _how_ solid it is? :)

Oh, and it's not running particularly cool, if not hot either.
Besides, Celeron in-a-box w/no SMP mods = 3 years guarantee. In 3
years time, this processor will probably not even be running my father
or mothers comp anymore.

Darn!  I could really use another Metroliner, but I know my pockets
aren't deept enough to do the deal without help from computer
hardware.  :)

Heh.. Do you get hardware cheap or something?

Well, we're not too concerned about overclockability.  We're going
with Socket 370 cpus because we can get generic slotkit adapters that
only require a single adjustment to do dual for like $10 each.  No

Don't most of the KET-type boards require the same mods as regular
celerons? I seem to remember, you need to disconnect a particular pin
from the PCB, hang it to 1.5V, and to a certain slot 1 pin..

modification to the celeron required whatsoever.  Most we can screw up
(and we won't, my buddy is doing these and he's a whiz with tiny
things like that) is the slotkit.  We might have to go with the 333
versions, though.  We already have a dual slot 1 board, just have to

I don't think there _are_ Socket370 333's, but I could be wrong.
AFAIK, 370 is limited to the 366 & 400 models.
see if it can be flashed to support multipliers high enough to go 400.
It's an LX board, not BX, so no 100 bus.

That's a primo reason not to overclock, I'll agree :)

Jasper "Asus P2B-DS is better" Janssen