 Off-Topic / Fun / 984
Re: Geektalk.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 20:11:10 GMT

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999 18:32:11 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

I ran mostly fine at 450 at 2.0 for several months, although I did
have ocassional lockups.  I tried it at 464 at 2.1 and it worked fine
with ocassional lockups so I put it back to 450 at 2.1 and haven't had
a lockup since.

Tried 2.05?

That's on my box.  The NT server machine I just built is running at
450 at 2.0 just fine, has been for a week now with no lockups.

Hmm.. At 2.0, I locked immediately, 2.05, got me a lock within an
hour, and now at 2.1 *appears* to be running alright..

All of mine are retail versions so the third one should do it at 2.0
or 2.1 at most.

Did you say you liked Matrox?  I'll trade you a Marvel G200 for that
Metroliner.  :)  If you don't want that I could probably swing a
Voodoo II.  I wouldn't bother with Voodoo 3 if I were you.  V2 SLI
will do just as well, and the upcoming TNT SLI will do better.

I already have a G200, and no real need for video-in. Sorry. And to
tell you the truth - I intend to let _that_ money go back into the
Lego Budget ;) *is currently reading sharkyextreme's review of TNT
SLI* Looks nice.

Now for the celeron 400 review.....

Slot 1 yes.  Lower core voltage, though.  1.85 I think.  BX6-2
supports it out of the box.  Might have to update the bios on the BH6
to do it.

Hmm. Whatever, by the time I'm able to afford a P-III, I'll want a new
motherboard anyway, most likely :)

We're going to put together a dual Celeron 400 rig at work in a couple
weeks.  Run Linux and dedicated Quake2 and Half-Life servers on it.

Hmm.. but the 400 is almost un-overclockable! And, despite evidence to
the contrary, i have to suggest that Q2 & halflife aren't
mission-critical enough to require unoverclocked ones - besides, if
you're gonna modify celerons to work SMP, you might as well go to
overclock too ;)

I wonder what processor drives this Tamagotchi...

Jasper