 Off-Topic / Fun / 985
Re: Geektalk.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 20:22:09 GMT

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
I ran mostly fine at 450 at 2.0 for several months, although I did
have ocassional lockups.  I tried it at 464 at 2.1 and it worked fine
with ocassional lockups so I put it back to 450 at 2.1 and haven't had
a lockup since.

Tried 2.05?

Hrmmm, actually no.  I will as soon as this massive ftp is done,
though, and report back.  :)

That's on my box.  The NT server machine I just built is running at
450 at 2.0 just fine, has been for a week now with no lockups.

Hmm.. At 2.0, I locked immediately, 2.05, got me a lock within an
hour, and now at 2.1 *appears* to be running alright..

Cool.  Anything 2.2 and below should be fine.  Most people I know
doing this (about 12 or so with probably twice as many machines) fall
into the 2.05-2.1 catagory.

I already have a G200, and no real need for video-in. Sorry. And to
tell you the truth - I intend to let _that_ money go back into the
Lego Budget ;) *is currently reading sharkyextreme's review of TNT
SLI* Looks nice.

Darn!  I could really use another Metroliner, but I know my pockets
aren't deept enough to do the deal without help from computer
hardware.  :)

We're going to put together a dual Celeron 400 rig at work in a couple
weeks.  Run Linux and dedicated Quake2 and Half-Life servers on it.

Hmm.. but the 400 is almost un-overclockable! And, despite evidence to
the contrary, i have to suggest that Q2 & halflife aren't
mission-critical enough to require unoverclocked ones - besides, if
you're gonna modify celerons to work SMP, you might as well go to
overclock too ;)

Well, we're not too concerned about overclockability.  We're going
with Socket 370 cpus because we can get generic slotkit adapters that
only require a single adjustment to do dual for like $10 each.  No
modification to the celeron required whatsoever.  Most we can screw up
(and we won't, my buddy is doing these and he's a whiz with tiny
things like that) is the slotkit.  We might have to go with the 333
versions, though.  We already have a dual slot 1 board, just have to
see if it can be flashed to support multipliers high enough to go 400.
It's an LX board, not BX, so no 100 bus.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - Focused discussion groups for LEGO fans worldwide