 Off-Topic / Fun / 8414
Re: You know what annoys me?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 16:59:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, John Neal writes:
Personally, I get a little freaked when I'm watching a Friends episode and I >see the genital herpes commericials.  What grosses me out the most is that >there must be millions of watchers to whom this product is marketed...>-p

Lots and lots to be sure.

I have seen that one advert where the young lady sits on a block or
something with the voice-over saying "I am part of a disturbing trend..."

I have understood (hey, I'm not even a doctor on tv) that 90% of U.S. adults
carry herpes Simplex 1, Simplex II numbers are around 20%, but the two
varieties can travel from one individuals genitals to another's mouth, and
so on.  Genital warts is carried by over 1/2 the female population of the
average university (probably because there are something like 65 different
varieties of HPV anyway). Many of these people carry these ailments in
ignorance as they carry the viruses asymptomatically.

I hate to see the few that KNOW they have it be so stigmatized when most
people statistically have it anyway.  And now they have a test for herpes.
So here's a true life scenario for you:

A friend of mine was recently tested for herpes along with her boyfriend,
they were at that point in their relationship where they wanted to be
"unsafe" and more initimate.  He tested positive, she tested negative.  So
now, they are stuck again, because she is not keen to get it. Sucks, don't
it? The price of certainty.

Too weird. I have no answers...

...I am not sure that some snake-oil salesmen's Miracle Ointment with more
side-effects than can be easily understood is the answer either, though.

-- Hop-Frog (not me, I swear it!)