 Off-Topic / Fun / 6948
Re: Censoring Unpopular Speech? (Re: Good news for collectors (was Re: 1593 box photos!))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 15:34:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, James Simpson writes:

Forgive my bad etiquette in replying to my own post, but I neglected to set FUT
to debate.

james

This censorship topic reminds me of something that my mom told me about a couple
of weeks ago; it seems that she was listening to AM talk radio at some unusual
hour, and found a program devoted to cigar enthusiasts - as its often fun to
listen to radio programs that are devoted to things that one doesn't know much
about - she listed this program and found it very interesting, except for the
fact that every 3rd or 4th sentence a voice would break in announcing that
cigars are harmful to one's health and smoking them often leads to cancer,
yadda, yadda, yadda.  Now, I agree that smoking cigars is bad for one's health
(I only enjoy one extremely occasionally while discussing philosophy or Tolkien
[same thing] with a friend, or when I can get away with it without my wife
finding out), but...that intrusion on free speech that was forced upon these
radio enthusiasts went, IMO, too far.  Besides the fact that I doubt many young
impressionable minds were tuned into AM 1570 or whatever...smoking, despite most
politically correct efforts to the contrary...is still legal in the USA, and I
resent my government intruding on free speech regarding a legal activity.  Now,
I'm no friend of tobacco...as I said, I light up a stogee very, very
infrequently, and always just as a lark.  What do you all think?  Is the
government within reasonable limits (yes, it may have been legal, but is it *
reasonable*) to impose such a restriction?  Wouldn't a notice perhaps at the
beginning and at the end have been sufficient?

james