 Local / United Kingdom / 6018
Re: 1593 box photos! (was: Re: you guys noticed this auction? - Wow!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 10:57:20 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.loc.uk, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=567350684
1983 LEGO SPACESHIP #1593 MISB
currently standing at $1000+ - wow!
Is it really that rare?
Perhaps it is MISB

It's that rare, ya!  I could see it going to $2000 or more if someone had
pockets that deep.  Just the instructions alone are incredibly rare, and
the box is...well, we've never even seen a box before.  Scans and color
photocopies of the instructions surfaced on the net around 1996.

Well, it's certainly great to finally see photos of an actual box of this
set.  This is first new info about old Space stuff that I've seen in about
a year or two.

This pretty much blows the theory out of the water that this was just a
supermodel (like 6861 & 6862) of two other sets -- although it's still
highly likely that it was originally derived from 6880 & 6929.

1593 (name not yet known!!):  http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1593
6880 Surface Explorer:  http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6880
6929 Starfleet Voyager:  http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6929
6861 Blacktron Super Vehicle:  http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6861_2
6862 M:Tron Secret Space Voyager:  http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6862

--Todd

I remember a Classic Space set that you could only get by saving tokens from
packs of washing powder in the UK (not my mum's regular brand
unfortunately).  It certainly wasn't shown in the catalogue at the time -
this 1593 may well have been the one (the tower of cones looks familiar).  I
don't recall exactly when this was, compared to the release of the 6880 and
6929, as I was very young at the time.  I think it was before the 6880 (or
any yellow minifig spaceman set) was released, as I remember the box print
made the red minifig look orange, and we were still on red & white figures only.

If anyone else remembers this offer, perhaps they can verify if this is it.
I've looked through all the Classic Space sets on Lugnet and this is the
only one that jogs the memory.

Jason J Railton