 Off-Topic / Fun / 5828
5827  |  5829
Subject:
Regional food (was Re: the best laid plans of mice and men)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 14:07:48 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:

I could claim that you assuming (correctly) that I was a haggis muncher was
nothing more than a ethnic stereotyping as very few people in Scotland
actually
eat it other than on a certain day each year and even then it is probably
eaten
in only a minority of families.

Really?  How odd.  In my experience you can't be in Scotland for more than 12
hours without *seeing* a haggis, and more than 48 before someone corners you
into eating it.  Secretly, I beleive that none of you eat it at all when
tourists aren't around, but are willing to stomach it to see if we will, too.
Keeping a straight face in those situations must be hard.

BTW : What is the national dish in the US? I assume it must be turkey in some
form. Please don't say it is a hotdog.

That's a good question.  I wouldn't say turkey, we only eat that once a year
for sure.  Hotdogs would be a fairly American choice, I guess, but entirely too
disgusting.

Not to get all "manifest destiny" or anything, but I think we're too big to
have one "national dish", although regions have their own thing.  Boston has
baked beans (which, now that I think about it, I haven't had or even seen in
several years), Philadelphia has cheese steak subs, Chicago has deep-dish
pizza...

The closest thing I can think of to a national dish of any kind would be apple
pie.

eric