 Administrative / General / 7687
Re: the best laid plans of mice and men
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 08:37:03 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Scott Arthur writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Jude Beaudin writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Scott Arthur writes:
<snip>
Now I am disappointed. I have no hate in me for anyone or anything,
although I do have a particular dislike for marmite. :-)
Marmite!?! What does marmite mean?
It the Australian nationl dish:
http://www.accomodata.co.uk/marmite.htm

Hey Todd,

Is there some server-side way of doing a pop-up or other warning message
before a post is confirmed?  Like, say...

      "Please double-check that your post is on-topic for • lugnet.lego.direct,
        and not about marmite or some other nonsense?"

James
(who doesn't believe in subtlety today)

Scott, would this have helped?

Anything which keeps marmite off my screen helps. ;-)

For the record, I really am in favour of compartmentalisation and all that.
However, I am also aware that it tends to fragment threads (especially if one
read via a news reader). If I thought my post would start a long rambling
thread about marmite (or some other nonsense) I would not have posted it, or I
would have moved it elsewhere. As my post was a straight answer to a straight
question, I did not even think about it - my apologies to all read it:

http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=733

However, to be honest I'm a little bemused as to how this has reached
admin.general & how I got e-mailed about by big brother about it. It may be
that, unbeknown to me, the "LUGNET POLICE"  are back to enforce the ToU - but I
really hope not, as I do not what to see admin.general swamped with reports of
seemingly malicious off-topic posts. Before anyone quotes the group's charter
at me and tells me that Brad reads that group, I ask this - what is worse to
the casual observer: me answering a straight question or James Brown's retort?

So have we now to report all off-topic posts to admin.general?

Scott A