 Administrative / General / 7692
Re: the best laid plans of mice and men
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:12:31 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jude Beaudin writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:

Before anyone quotes the group's charter
at me and tells me that Brad reads that group, I ask this - what is worse to
the casual observer: me answering a straight question or James Brown's • retort?

His retort was, at least, posted to the proper group.

So have we now to report all off-topic posts to admin.general?

No, nothing compels you to, but if you're annoyed by an off-topic post, this • is
the place to say something about it.

Instead of getting all bent out of shape when someone points out that you're
posting in the wrong place, and crying about the "LUGNET POLICE", and trying • to
make as though people are being overly anal-retentive because they point it
out, you'd be better off acknowledging (silently, to yourself, in your head)
that you may have broken the ToS that you agreed to when you signed up for
posting privs to Lugnet, that those ToS are in place for a good reason, and
that someone was annoyed enough by your off-topic post to actually say
something about it, and letting it go at that.

I don't think that your marmite references were particularly hurtful to the
integrity of lugnet.lego.direct or anything, but they were off-topic

For the record, I am neither "bent out of shape" or "crying".... but just
bemused.

Just to interject, I am the one who brought the discussion to its off-topic
status. The original marmite comment was in a post script that Scott wrote in
an on-topic message.

, and
making snide remarks about it when people point that out *certainly* doesn't
help the situation.  Accept that it was a faux pas, however minor, and move • on
with your life.  Have a big plate of haggis or something.  I've never had
Marmite, but as repulsive national dishes go...

eric

PS Well, ok, haggis isn't actually that bad, if you can manage to forget what
you're actually putting in your mouth.
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
A post script just like that. I then replied to the post without changing
groups asking what marmite was. Scott then replied.

(BTW it sounds disgusting :-)

I had it for my breakfast this morning, and I liked it so much I had a second
helping. It may not sound all that great, but I do know what is in it.

Scott A

So to everyone once again I apologize for not changing the group to which I • was
posting.

Jude

xFUT lugnet.things_taken_too_far.posting_to_the_wrong_group