 Off-Topic / Fun / 5699
Re: Here's looking at Euclid
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 23:49:54 GMT

Dave Schuler <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message
news:FyMGLr.GC4@lugnet.com...
Since I haven't had geometry in a zillion years, I'm ill-equipped to solve • a
little dilemma I've run across, and I thought a few of the more • math-minded
among us might be able to help.  Here goes:

  Given two points on a circle, can one compute the diameter of the circle • if
the distance between the two points is known?  How would one do so?
  In the name of mercy, please keep it simple in accordance with my • mathless
brain, but I appreciate any help you folks can give!

Well, one can only compute the circle IF the two points you are talking
about are 180o from each other!!  Otherwise I'm stumped, UNLESS you supply
some other known point of the circle!!  :-)

However, from circle geometry, you could compute the diameter of the circle
IF the distance you have is a particular portion of the circle.  E.g. one
sixth, one half, one quarter or some known fraction of a circle.

I.E. in the case of one sixth, that's easy, you already have the radius of
the circle then.

One half has already been specified above.

One quarter is slightly more difficult, but since all points from it would
have to be 90 degrees from each other, then that too is a matter of trial
and elimination to find the appropriate part of your puzzle.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde