 Off-Topic / Fun / 5687
Re: Here's looking at Euclid
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 17:32:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:
Given two points on a circle, can one compute the diameter of the circle if
the distance between the two points is known?  How would one do so?

You're talking about two points on the circumfrence of the circle, right?

ATM, I don't see how you could figure it out without also knowing the arc
between the two points (err, IOW, the angle that they form if connected to the
center of the circle)... and I'm not sure that even then.

Then again, I'm tired beyond words, have been doing pure geometry problems for
the past 8 days, and have no paper to draw that on and visualize it.

...do you know *any*thing else about the points?

-Shiri