 Off-Topic / Fun / 1194
Re: Credit reports anybody?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:59:42 GMT

If you contact the agencies directly the fee is 8 bucks. If you first
get turned down for something because of a report, the fee is free.
Takes a letter, though, in each case. If you call, you'll pay 30.

Sproaticus wrote:

Julie Krenz wrote:
Well, it's not exactly "off-topic.fun", (but since you all seem to be an
intelligent bunch, I'd thought I'd ask here) does anybody know how to
get a free copy of your credit report? I've done  some searches and the
sites I've run across want a fee. I don't think I should have to pay for
information on myself.

From my experience you should probably ask your bank manager which credit
agency they get it from, then contact the credit agency directly by phone or
mail.  I would be pretty nervous about getting my credit report across the
Internet.

Another trick I've seen used is this:  walk into some place offering
pre-approved credit (I think that's the term).  This could be a car lot or a
furniture store, whatever.  Chat with them about their credit-checking
process.  More often than not, they'll gladly tell you who they do credit
checks through.

There has always been a fee associated with getting your credit report, but
it shouldn't be over around thirty dollars.  A Web site would most likely be
asking for a credit card number; this is another aspect of the report which
would make me think twice about doing it over the Internet.

Cheers,
- jsproat

"The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder"
-- British scientist J. B. S. Haldane (1892-1964)

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.