 Off-Topic / Debate / 9172
Re: Essay on Emerson vs. Thoreau; civil disobedience
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 02:26:13 GMT

We differ strongly. I suspect this is moral relativism. I reject that... I
go even farther than rejection. I think there are moral absolutes and no
government, even with the majority of voters saying it's OK, can violate
them and still be a moral government.

Ah-- then we shall certainly have differences. My own moral theory arrives
at the conclusion that there are no absolutes in morality.

I haven't presented a satisfactory demonstration of why these absolutes
exist or what they are, but it's at the crux of my disagreement with the
notion that the unfettered will of the majority is an OK way to make rights
affecting decisions. It's not.

And I'd argue that it CAN be.

Go ahead and do so...

Not necessarily that it's EVER actually BEEN
ok, but that the possibility exists. And just to clarify further, by my
morality, it can be ok for one person to enslave another, and it's also
still perfectly ok if that other believes that his/her slavery is immoral.

I am having a lot of trouble with this notion. It smacks of might makes right.

<snip>

(And didn't you already lose this debate by indirectly bringing the magic
word into the discussion? :)

Yes, it so much more convenient to already have "lost", don't you think?

++Lar