 Off-Topic / Debate / 9191
Re: Essay on Emerson vs. Thoreau; civil disobedience
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 20:27:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:

Snip.

Might makes right is, simplified, the belief that force is the ultimate
arbiter of any conflict; in other words, that morality is external, and
derived from enforcement.

I would not agree with the above definition, but rather offer this one instead:

MMR is the belief that there *is* no morality. whatever you have the power
to do is OK, with no objective standard to be held to whether internal or
external. There are no rights to anything, everything is amoral.

Moral relativism holds that morality is ultimately a subjective belief, and
doesn't go any farther than that.  There are derivations from and
consequences of that basic concept, but that's it, in a nutshell.

I think maybe it's the very commonly cited consequence that you can't judge
someone else's morality as inferior by an objective standard that I have an
issue with, as that is unacceptable.  But if it's an immutable consequence,
then the premise is unacceptable as well.