 Off-Topic / Debate / 9147
Re: Essay on Emerson vs. Thoreau; civil disobedience
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 01:11:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
Emerson argued with Thoreau and tried to
convince him that acting lawfully, albeit persistently and patiently, is
better than breaking any law, unjust as it is. Thoreau was not convinced,
but I was.

Personally I'm gonna have to go with Chris and Lar on this one... Most of
the time, you're probably right. But it doesn't make it always so (At least
I don't think so).

Yep, I can totally see that. For God's sake, I don't think that one should
*always* abide by the laws, especially when reaching such atrocities like
your example. Larry has a point too there, when the law just goes too far
then I'd rather not follow it. While writing the essay I actually was
considering WWII, and Nazi soldiers who killed millions because they were
following orders. I asked my dad for help to think about people who worked
"within the system" (since I was trying to emulate Emerson's ideas), but
every example he could think of was, when we thought it through, turned out
to involve civil disobedience anyway. I was considering changing my POV and
trying to prove Thoreau's side, but I felt like that would be (a) too easy
and (b) too common. I'll bet everyone else in my class chose Thoreau, and
use MLK as one of their contemporary examples. I really felt like it
wouldn't be a good essay. And since I was restricted to choosing one
character of the play, and one only, (my teacher specifically said not to
combine views) I decided to go with Emerson anyway.

But for the most part, however, I agree with you. Would I not pay my taxes
because I didn't support a war? Nah, that doesn't push me to feel the level
or immorality that killing babies does. So what it boils down to is: if it
goes against your morality to the point at which you could more easily live
with yourself in punishment for your crime rather than obey the law, you're
perfectly 'right' in your decision.

Agreed.

But similarly, the government is equally
'right' in punishing you.

You mean that you should "peacefully accept the consequences", yes?

And if enough people disobey the law, the
government had BETTER change or else it won't be much of a government for
long. To disallow change in a government is most likely a path towards a
self-destructive government.

Agreed once more.

-Shiri