 Off-Topic / Debate / 9188
Re: Essay on Emerson vs. Thoreau; civil disobedience
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:03:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton writes: • <snip>
Not necessarily that it's EVER actually BEEN
ok, but that the possibility exists. And just to clarify further, by my
morality, it can be ok for one person to enslave another, and it's also
still perfectly ok if that other believes that his/her slavery is immoral.

I am having a lot of trouble with this notion. It smacks of might makes right.

It could be twisted into meaning that, I suppose, but just about anything
can be twisted around until it supports a 'might makes right' mindset.

It boils down to relative morality.  When David talks about someone acting
morally (or immorally), he is making that call in relation to their own
moral code.  If someone has no moral objection to keeping slaves, they are
moral to do so; by the same lights, if someone has a moral objection to
being kept as a slave, they are moral to try and escape.

Since you reject moral relativism, obviously you disagree.

Yep. That is a good summation of both David's position and mine, I think.

Now back to might makes right... *isn't* moral relativism a kind of "might
makes right"?

I think it is (without too much, if any, twisting) and that's one of my
issues with it (but then, what do you expect, I'm a "being human gives us
natural rights" kind of guy...).

++Lar