 Off-Topic / Debate / 7255
Re: Spot Poll: Bad Loser - Bush or Gore?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 19:12:35 GMT

Spot Pole - Is Gore Just a Bad Loser?

Ummmmm, he won the popular vote and the electoral college is not yet
decided, so I can't really answer that.

I can't decide. To a certain extend, I can see his point. But if I were
cynical, I would say that he is just going to go on wanting re-counts until
he gets the results he wants.

He gets to have a recount.  I don't care if they recount every county by
hand - it's okay with me.  I'd rather they decide to do it all at once, but
I'm not in any rush, I'd rather have accuracy.  If the democrats take it
beyond the recount that is in progress, public sentiment may turn against
them, but currently it's overwhelmingly in favor of the recount, which would
seem to argue against Gore being viewed as a bad loser.

Perhaps there really are constitutional issues at stake here? Even if there
are, did he not accept the current system when he entered "the race". Should
he just accept the result now, and then work to clarify the system for the
next time?

The current system says Gore can get a recount - Bush even signed in a
similiar system into his home state.

Accepting dubious results is in no one's interests.  Not the American
people's, not Gore's, not even Bush's in the long run.  Bush is far better
off having people confident that he won the election fairly, especially
since he has no mandate from the people.

If he does loose in the end, will history view him as a bad loser, rather
than a former VP? Will he be able to run again? Will HC let him?

He'll simply be viewed as a loser - the electorate supports the recount.
The one in danger of making himself look like a fool is Bush.

Would either run again if he lost?  Gore might if Dubya is a dud, but
otherwise I doubt it.  Similiarly, if Gore faltered as president, Dubya
could come back.  He might anyway - four more years of experience would be a
positive for him.

Bruce