 Off-Topic / Debate / 6301
Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:18:00 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Tim Courtney writes:
Hey everybody...
After reading a few of the highlights from the recent debates on adding
different color minifigs into the Lego product line, I thought I'd offer a
few words.

I have a major concern with the discussions and the attitude portrayed.
That is: this is LEGO we're talking about.  A toy which I grew up (and many
of you out there have as well) with having fun and playing with, with the
pleasant absence of a political message, and with limitless possibilities.

Yes, but that was because minifigs, macrofigs, or any type of figs didn't exist
then.  At least for me.  :-O

The spirit of the LEGO toy and the LEGO hobby are those of fun and
creativity, not overt political messages.  That's the way LEGO should stay.

Here is the crux of the problem.  The lack of diversity in minifigs IS a
political message.  You may agree with that message, you may disagree, you may
say "Heck, I only use this for gaming - I don't care that much if my only
selection is bright yellow" (me!), but Lego HAS made a political (racial,
cultural, what-have-you) choice.

Points have been brought up about the yellow minifig color being neutral and
representing humanity in general.  I suppose I would fall most closely in
that camp.

I have never seen ANYTHING from Lego that explains that this is their policy.
Not here.  Not on rec.toys.lego.  Not in any of their sets.  Not on their
website.  Not in their magazine.  I take it others have at some time (and I'm
not arguing that point) - just how in the world do you expect the general
public to understand the yellow=everyone policy?  Is it truly a policy, or a
retroactive excuse?

Given the history of exclusion blacks have had in this country (USA), do you
wonder why pale=everyone may be viewed as an EXTREMELY political choice?  My
suspicion is that a bunch of Danes were simply clueless about this - many
americans are just as clueless, so I hardly expect Danes to be different at the
time minifigs were first designed.

If Lego really thought about all this from the start, if they really believe
it, please explain Duplo's multi-skin tones.  I sincerely doubt any Lego
official will answer that.  And that should give you pause.

Personally I'm getting quite tired of reading this and watching factions
form to divide the group up.  We're talking about LEGO again here, and this
is LUGNET - the so-called 'friendliest place on the net.'  But it seems that
people can't leave politics out and have a good time.

Again, ignoring why some people might have a problem with "everyone is pale" IS
a political choice.

This is kind of like people pining for the 50's.  Happy days (as long as you
weren't black).  Everyone got along (as long as those people stayed at the back
of the bus).  Ignorance is bliss.  Sweep the problems under the carpet.  Ignore
them and hope they go away (or at least not bother you).

There IS something to be said for one abstract color equals everyone, but note
that Lego made it a pale color, and not a medium or dark one.

Jason Rowoldt wrote:
"Does it seem marketed toward non-blacks? (A term I use from your comments,
as
I have a real problem in trying to judge that fine line as to who is black
and
who isn't, based on skin tone or cultural preference. I'd rather us all be
just
human beings)."

I'd agree with this statement wholeheartedly.  But, as an interesting aside,
I'm looking at a couple pieces of literature.

First off, an article in Mary Beth's Bean Bag World Monthly - something a
friend clipped for me.  The article is entitled 'Building Blocks for a
Successful Business.' (about LEGO and the LEGO collecting hobby)  The front
page of the article shows a black child of about 7-8 years of age playing
with a LEGO Adventurers themed model.  Featured next to him is a caucasian
baby of 6 months.

On the cover of each LEGO product lineup catalog (started with 'Its Hard to
Imagine Childhood Without It' in 1995), a black child is featured in the
photographs, along with caucasian children and Asian children.  The 2000
catalog features not one, but 2 black children.

Last, and most powerful, is a copy of LEGOLife which I obtained.  For those
of you who do not know, LEGOLife is the company's internal newsletter.  The
global edition has many pictures of their LEGO Dream Party, an international
banquet held all around the world.  One of the photos shows a black man very
well dressed, who apparently works for or is associated with the comany in
some way.

So really, is LEGO marketed any less towards any particular race?  I would
think not - because LEGO is a truly worldwide company, and the literature
I've seen portrays people of a variety of different races being involved
with LEGO bricks.

I'm not sure what any of this proves about the pros or cons of bright yellow
only minifigs.

Back to the quote - I am again in agreement with Jason's statement.  We are
all human beings.  That's the first thing that ties us all together, our
humanity, and secondarily our distinct genetic variations.

As to the Star Wars issue, I would have to agree that colored minifigs can
be introduced into Star Wars to provide accuracy to the film, without the
necessity or obligation to expand the line of DSMs (as I read it referred to
as) into the regular product line.  Overstepping those bounds would have
tremendous political consequences and cause more headache for TLC, as other
ethnic groups would be requesting equal treatment.  I would really rather
leave race out of LEGO completely.

Lego has basically four options:

1. If they don't make a bright yellow Lando or Mace figure, Lego has made a
racial statement and lacked the courage of their convictions.

2. If the public does not accept bright yellow Lando/Maces if they do come out,
then that should be a clue that they need to rethink their bright yellow
policy.

3. If they come out, but not as bright yellow, then they have not had the
courage of their convictions, and they should rethink their bright yellow
policy.

4. If they come out with the figs and the public accepts them, then they are
vindicated (but since they avoid public explanation of their policy, what are
the odds this will happen).  I think that if they really believe in their
policy, they need to bring these figures out in bright yellow.  Maybe they are
right!

It all boils down to, why pollute the hobby with politics? Why raise
unnecessary concern and disgust from many different people groups - its only
a headache in the long run, I'm afraid it seems some people have not weighed
the consequences of such actions.

Ahhhh, the 50s were so wonderful.....

After reading this thread and looking back into past discussions, I leave
now with the strong feeling this was used by people to cry racism. That's
unfortunate, because (at least from my POV) LEGO is not acting with any
racial motivation whatsoever in its product line.  Really, the hobby and the
fun are being polluted for someone's political agenda.

Racism does not have to be overt - racism can be simple ignorance.  The trouble
is that the word is fraught with negative connotations.

On a lighthearted sidenote, I know someone who made their own black minifig,
and it was really cool!  He is black himself, and what I appreciated the
most is he didn't take on an attitude that it was an injustice needing to be
corrected - he did it because he wanted a fig to represent himself.  And his
attitude towards it was positive, fun, and definitely constructive to the
hobby.  He didn't have any overt political agenda in creating his own custom
minifig.

So a black guy felt that he couldn't be represented by a yellow minifig?  Isn't
that sending you a message?  A really strong message!  How many of use feel the
need to repaint their personal minifig to something other than bright yellow?

I don't have a definitive answer to any of this, by the way.  Lego probably has
its heart in the right place, but that doesn't mean that they necessarily have
the right answer, or that their implementation is the right answer.  What I
would hope people try and bring away from this is an understanding of WHY
others may have a problem with the current state of affairs.

Bruce

I appreciate it when people can take possibly sensitive matters
which they have been subjected to and not cling to them but enrich their
lives and the lives of others by just laying back and having a good time.

And yes, when I was a kid, I was one who wanted to see black minifigs
introduced, and was curious as to why they didn't make them.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114
AIM: TimCourtne