 Off-Topic / Debate / 6300
Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:58:04 GMT

"Lorbaat" <eric@nospam.thirteen.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.starwars, Tim Courtney writes:
Personally I'm getting quite tired of reading this and watching factions
form to divide the group up.

A lot of people have said this, but I'd be interested to see them actually • draw
lines and point out these so-called "factions". There seem to be only two • that
really exist- those who are discussing something they find interesting • (for
whatever reason), and those who want the discussion to stop- to whom I say
"don't read the thread".

Viable alternative. In all sincerity, I have watched LUGNET for the past few
days be filled with what I feel is senseless bickering, over TLC's actions
and over what I believe to be a racial issue, because of my feelings towards
particular posts (will outline below).

Overstepping those bounds would have
tremendous political consequences and cause more headache for TLC, as • other
ethnic groups would be requesting equal treatment.

Well, actually, there could be tremendous political consequences and • headaches
for TLC no matter what they do. I've been over their choices and possible
negative reactions before, though, so I won't retread that ground.

I would think that (and this is just my opinion) TLC would have the least
resistance not playing the race card.

I would really rather
leave race out of LEGO completely.

So would I. Unfortunately, when Lego took a license to represent real • people,
it made it impossible.

Yes. I agree.

After reading this thread and looking back into past discussions, I leave
now with the strong feeling this was used by people to cry racism.

That's a rather heavy accusation. Can you point to where you feel this
happened?

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=6296

This I feel is a particularly racially motivated post, complete with racial
slurs, and even portraying oneself as less for dramatic effect.

Researching back, I find...

http://news.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=8538
http://news.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=8462

The attitudes expressed in Damien's posts I find offensive. He also has a
few totally illogical arguments like 'making C-3P0 green and the Millenium
Falcon pink.' If you look back, this seems to be one of the sole things he
has been crying about on LUGNET for months in discussion. He (in my mind) is
clearly playing a race card in hopes of attention. He has taken it beyond
the discussion of a few minifigs and their effectiveness in either yellow or
darker skin colors.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114