 Off-Topic / Debate / 5948
Re: Hitler minifig (Adventurers)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 02:50:25 GMT

In lugnet.adventurers, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.adventurers, Richard Franks writes:
I'd be more concerned about that to be honest. Nazi's aren't German, although
some Nazi's were German.

And more importantly, Germans, as a whole, aren't Nazis.

I think this is an important point.  In a class I took a few years back here at
the U of Pittsburgh (History of the Holocaust), it was pointed out that
Hitler's Nazis only had ~33% of the vote in 1933, when Hitler became part of
the German gov't.  Anti-Jewish sentiments no doubt grew, but there were people
who did not believe in the goverment sponsored antisemitism.  I was in a
synagoge last summer in Berlin which was saved from Kristalnacht by a German
who believed that the building shouldn't be destroyed.

As an (originally) polish Jew, who's grandparents were all afflicted by the
Holocaust, I'm slightly offended by that statement (two posts ago). Not
offended by Greg - just by the fact that he doesn't know the history behind
it. In Israel, this is a major issue (well... naturally), but it seems to me
that there is no education about it in the U.S. until high-school. This amazes
me and disappoints me greatly. Of course this is a harsh issue to explain to
children, but people who do not know history are doomed to repeat it. And
genocide is still happening around us.

It is amazing, but at least it is being taught.  In Germany no one would even
talk about it for a long time after the war.  I think as long as it is kept in
the public eye, it will not be forgotten, and the wackos who try to say that
the Holocaust didn't happen will continue to be dismissed as lunatics.  You at
least hear stuff about Yom H'Shoah, and recent movies like Schindler's List,
Jakob the Liar, and that Bellini movie keep people thinking about it.

Toki