 Adventurers / 953
Re: Hitler minifig (Adventurers)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.build.minifigs
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 15:36:35 GMT

In lugnet.adventurers, Richard Franks writes:
In lugnet.adventurers, Greg Majewski writes:
Yeah: don't. Though *I* don't care if you do make these minifigs, please • don't
publicize them on LUGNET,

Why not?

Agreed.  The rise and fall of Nazi Germany is historical fact, as are the
attrocities commited by the Nazis.  It may not be a happy, warm image to
create in Lego, but it did happen and if someone wants to create something
with Lego depicting these things I say more power to them.  Life is full of
bad things and to deny that fact is to deny life.  Why should Lego be any
different?

and if you do, at least flatly call them "German."

I'd be more concerned about that to be honest. Nazi's aren't German, although
some Nazi's were German. It's an important difference, and one I'd imagine at
least some German people would have feelings about.

Historically speaking the Nazi party had it's strongest support in Germany,
and so calling calling Nazis "Germans" is somewhat appropriate, if put in
historical context.  Hitler himself wasn't German, he was Austrian.  I think I
would stick the term "German Nazis" just to be safe.

This is a rather touchy subject that I personally don't think should be
brought up. Thanks.

As long as a subject is brought up responsibly, I don't see why it shouldn't • be
explored.

Richard

Precisely.  Life isn't full of flowers, bright colors, and smiley faces.  Why
should Lego be any different?  I'm in the process of developing a site that
explores the Dark Side of Life in Lego (I'm calling it DSOLL.)  It's been in
the works for several months now, and I will post the link to the site on
lugnet once I get it finished.

-Bryan
"To deny darkness is to deny ourselves" - R. Goit