 Off-Topic / Debate / 5943
    Re: Age limitations —Steve Bliss
   (...) So you're saying the public transportation needs to be in place before the city? Makes sense to me -- if a city-organism is in the mode of transporting by car, it makes little sense to for it to jump to public transportation mode, just because (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Age limitations —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) No, not exactly. More like it has to be driven by market forces. NY subway, arguably one of the best US ones (in terms of routes, connections and coverage possible), is a socialized amalgam of several competing subway lines that were built by (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Age limitations —Erik Olson
     (...) I'm familiar with that Boston trolley history, but NY is a little different. The underground lines for the most part date from a 1900 city-financed project let out to a contractor. It was charted to serve Manhattan and the Bronx. Other (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Age limitations —Frank Filz
     (...) I used to do a Christmastime shopping spree in Boston using the T. I would walk down to a bus station from my mom's house (a 5 minute walk), and then hit a bunch of stores all over Boston (and one out in Malden). My spree was not as efficient (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Age limitations —Dave Schuler
     (...) That's approximately how I did my Christmas shopping this past year, but it wasn't anything like a convenience. Among my purchases were a 10 quart glass punch bowl, an armful of books, a CD player and several CD's. As such, I had to make about (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Age limitations —Dave Schuler
   (...) I have no doubt that an effective mass transit system is possible, and in some regions even necessary, but in the (only) five cities where I've lived, mass transit couldn't compete against cars for convenience. I guess that's my thesis, in (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Mass transit (nee Age) Limitations —Erik Olson
   (...) And one day you'll (maybe) be grocery shopping for a family of 4, and you'll think Wow, it would suck to have to carry all this on the trolley, every week. I'm a do-things-for-yourself kind of guy. Yet my NLSO thinks it's great when we can pay (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Mass transit (nee Age) Limitations —Dave Schuler
   (...) Perhaps you misunderstood my point; I'm asserting that trolleys and the like *do not* equal the convenience of a car, and they likely never will. In fact, every week I do the grocery shopping for my family of two, lugging the bags the 1/4 mile (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Mass transit (nee Age) Limitations —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) equal (...) week. (...) Yep. I like them as a tourist (and would as a commuter) but I'd never ever want to do grocery shopping the way US people do using them. Here in Zurich (and in Heidelberg per my cousin the PhD molecular geneticist who is (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Mass transit (nee Age) Limitations —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Hit fire too soon, forgot to say "and that sucks, by the way... blue laws have the unintended consequence of keeping women unliberated..." although maybe it's NOT unintended... Laws are passed mostly by old men, after all, and if keeping (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Mass transit (nee Age) Limitations —Erik Olson
   (...) Looks like we agree on that! I wasn't saying anything bad about cars. Mostly, that life in a big city is a chore. (...) I gotta hand that one to you. The most I've schlepped on the T was a suitcase and a computer and a monitor during rush hour (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)