 Off-Topic / Debate / 5834
Re: smokers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 17:29:54 GMT

I've been fortunate enough not to have suffered through asthma; it sounds
awful!  Do people really suffer attacks from exposure to smoke-tainted
plastic?  (I'm certainly not refuting, just trying to empathize)

Well, I've been fortunate enough to not find out. When I opened a smoke-tainted
package, I noticed the smell immediatly so I closed the package and put it
aside. I coughed a little, but if I had ignored the smell and continued opening
the package, I might've triggered an attack, yes.

How do such
people walk down the street if there's exhaust in the air?

Well, I try to avoid places where smoking is very obvious. I walk quickly past
people who smoke to avoid triggering the asthma, etc.

At my non-smoking workplace, there's a designated smoking area right in
front of the entryway.  Whenever smokers return to work via the elevators, the
smoky smell lingers long after their passage.  Would this likewise trigger an
attack?  That's terrible!

Depending on the severity of the asthma, it might. Fortunately, my asthma has
been getting better for the past year or so, but a few years ago I certainly
would've suffered much more from these packages.

Hope that explains a bit,