 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 6337
Re: smokers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 14:14:08 GMT

Paul Rutenberg wrote:

Hello
Read your tittat on smoking lego salespersons, as far as i can see,  most of us
that sell something, have just bought it somewhere and are not selling out of
our own collections, we buy a package at a flea market, or over the papers or
thru on-line auktions, what we have double in the package or what we don't
need, we put up for sale again to help pay for our colloction, i don't ask the
guy at the fleanmarket selling a bunch of stuff from 60s/70s, even 80s, has
anybody smoked near this Lego in the last 30 years? come on guys, price is
right and i want it, i buy it, take it home, clean it, air it. If you are
really worried about somebody having smoked next to the Lego, don't buy it, go
to the store, buy it new, that way your sure. If an Auctioneer dosn't smoke,
but the previous owner did, and seller dosn't know it, all he say's is "i Don't
smoke" and hes won with you guys "sorry that you didn't ask about my wife, my
kids, my dog, the peaple that visit me, but I don't smoke" sorry like i said,
buy it new if that worried about it.
Paul

Buying only new at the store would be fine if you have no interest in
themes like pirates. The reality is that 90% plus of LEGO I have bought
over the internet has been smoke free. I have repeatedly bought from a
single buyer who exposes the LEGO they sell to a chain smoker. This
seller appears to buy new sets and break them down, and EVERY single
item I have bought from them reeks of smoke (especially the packaging).
It is clear to me that the smoker is in this person's household or place
of buisiness. It is my right as a consumer to ask relevant questions of
the seller where some aspect of how they conduct their buisiness will
have an impact on me.

I also believe that it is my right as a consumer to share this
information (however, I have chosen so far to keep this particular
seller nameless until I feel that a consensus has been reached that
keeping a list of smoke free and smoke non-free sellers is a good idea).

When I have bought stuff at fleamarkets and yardsales, I have chosen to
pass over items which were very grungy or smelling of smoke.

When I start listing stuff, I will indicate that my home is smoke free,
and that unless otherwise specified, it should be assumed that what I am
selling has at least been cleaned (and I will try to indicate what has
been bought new, and what is used, though with some items, I will have
to indicate "like new condition" with small print disclaimers clarifying
that I believe that what I am selling is essentially new, but some of it
has gone into a sorting bin and the bin may have used stuff in it, but
I'll have picked the parts which looked the most new from the bin).

follow-ups to: lugnet.off-topic.debate

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com