 Off-Topic / Debate / 4753
  Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) I would probably view homosexuals on a more even keel. I might, by way of example, compare it to my feelings towards Muslims. Having worked with a few exceptionally awesome folks who happened to be Islamic, my POV towards Muslims in general is (...) (24 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) Note: I picked Muslims as a category for discussion purposes only, because I am not a Muslim and I was discussing how I felt towards people who are different from me in terms of lifestyle. *sigh* Maybe I should stay out of these debates while (...) (24 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) They're the proverbial exceptions that prove the rule? --Todd (24 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) Erm, which rule? I used the example of how I feel towards Muslims as an example of my typical reaction. As a rule, I try very hard to not judge people based upon categories. My feelings towards homosexuality is an exception, caused by a (...) (24 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) I believe it is fairly low... in the US and many other countries, but not all. I have read that one of the reasons for the high rate of HIV in Africa and some other third world countries is that heterosexual anal intercourse is much more (...) (24 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) There's an old phrase -- "That's the exception that proves the rule." Example: "All tough cops have moustaches." "All?" "Yeah, all. Well, except for this one cop I talked to once -- he didn't have a moustache... But all the others do!" "He was (...) (24 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) I really enjoyed the movie _Chasing_Amy_, especially what Alyssa had to say in the bar scene early in the movie. --Todd (24 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) *sigh* again. c/judge people/judge people negatively/ Today is not my day. I'm having a Bad Typing Day. As a result, I threatened to wage war against Larry's house and sell his family into slavery, and I flamed homosexuals while defending (...) (24 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) Oh. See, there I go assuming again. Thanks for clearing that up, Kevin. Cheers, - jsproat (24 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

Massive snip just so I can pick on one point. (...) Sexuality only, or are you saying that ANY activity carried out purely for pleasure is irrational. I have an issue either way but let's be clear first. (24 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) <mild spoiler alert> The first part of that movie was great but the big denoument where the roomie tried to make a case for a three way struck me as a bit off. Spoiled what was otherwise a good movie for me. (24 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) anything (...) factors (...) Any activity done for pleasure is irrational. Or is pleasure rational? I contend that it is not -- emotion and bias play too big of a role for pleasure to be wrapped up in a tidy package. It's part of the human (...) (24 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) I would contend that to throw out all emotions as not suitable for a rational being is to go too far. Emotions serve at least two good purposes: - they're inputs. They give us valuable insight into our subconscious, as well as insight into our (...) (24 years ago, 11-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) How about activity done for pain? --Todd (24 years ago, 11-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) Rational. (...) Irrational. *Why* is it enjoyable? *Why* is it good? Is it or is it not necessary? These questions can't be adequately and rationally explained, at least not with modern medicine. And I'm willing to bet <RUMMAGE SRC="POCKETS" (...) (24 years ago, 11-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) What, like my job? :-, Cheers, - jsproat (24 years ago, 11-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) [snip examples of stereotyping] (...) I thought that old saying came from English grammar, where every rule has any number of exceptions. The exceptions don't invalidate the rule, they're just exceptions. Personally, I think the 'old phrase' (...) (24 years ago, 13-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) Are you refering to reading an Ayn Rand book? Personally, I'd rather read an atlas. *Shrug* whatever. Steve (24 years ago, 13-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)