 Off-Topic / Debate / 4773
Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 00:00:49 GMT

Sproaticus wrote:

Any activity done for pleasure is irrational.

Or is pleasure rational?  I contend that it is not -- emotion and bias play too
big of a role for pleasure to be wrapped up in a tidy package.  It's part of
the human condition.

Please note that I am not talking about sheer physical pleasure, as that is
simply the reaction of certain impulses racing along nerve pathways.  Pleasure
as a whole is much more complicated than that.

I would contend that to throw out all emotions as not suitable for a
rational being is to go too far. Emotions serve at least two good
purposes:

- they're inputs. They give us valuable insight into our subconscious,
as well as insight into our bodies
- they're enjoyable. That's a good thing in and of itself

We must not be ruled by emotion, we must use it rather than letting it
use us.

But it is not necessarily irrational to enjoy something. (or to be
annoyed by something) Rand explained it a lot better than I can.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!