 Off-Topic / Debate / 4775
Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 00:11:29 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I would contend that to throw out all emotions as not suitable for a
rational being is to go too far. Emotions serve at least two good
purposes:
- they're inputs. They give us valuable insight into our subconscious,
as well as insight into our bodies

Rational.

- they're enjoyable. That's a good thing in and of itself

Irrational.

*Why* is it enjoyable?  *Why* is it good?  Is it or is it not necessary?
These questions can't be adequately and rationally explained, at least not
with modern medicine.  And I'm willing to bet <RUMMAGE SRC="POCKETS" /> $.06
that it never will be explained in a rational manner.

We must not be ruled by emotion, we must use it rather than letting it
use us.

A balance between rationality and irrationality.

Rand explained it a lot better than I can.

Ayn?  I've been wanting to crack one of her books open for a while, but
they're so dang long...

Cheers,
- jsproat

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society