 Off-Topic / Debate / 28035
  Keen Observers of Community...

...might notice that there are a lot of (URL) spiteful people> in this hobby these days. Funny how a group that prides itself on "internalizing and moving on" seems to get so caught up in stalking certain people. I guess I just made the list. (18 years ago, 23-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) Hi Chris, consider it as coarse humour. While browsing JLUG, set aside seriousness ;-) Leg Godt! Rene (18 years ago, 23-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) It is certainly coarse, but I usually don't apply the label "humor" unless something is actually funny. I am surprised that anyone intelligent enough to operate a computer would find what goes on over there even remotely entertaining. It's not (...) (18 years ago, 23-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) Well, chacun à son goût. At least Janey and her bandogs decided to do mischief on their own platform and not here on LUGNET ;-) (...) Obviously they find it entertaining AND are able to operate a computer. To what extend that grants them (...) (18 years ago, 23-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) Yeah, I didn't say it wasn't possible, just surprising. (...) There's a frightening thought! I suppose some things are best left un-grokked. (18 years ago, 23-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) Hi Chris, I fear now we come to _my_ intelligence: What does "un-grokked" mean? My dictionary says: "Go away, nitwit, such a word doesn't exist"... Leg Godt! Rene (18 years ago, 23-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) Sorry, it's not a "real" word in formal English. The root word "grok" comes from Robert Heinlein's book Stranger in a Strange Land. It basically means "to understand completely." It seems the folks on JLUG have adopted the term as one of their (...) (18 years ago, 23-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) Wow, "bandogs"... great word! Oh how I wish it was true... the power I could wield if it was. Looks like Rene just came up with a new slogan... JLUG - Currently Recruiting More Bandogs (This is humour. Now while I don't expect it to be funny (...) (18 years ago, 23-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) So Chris, having complained about LUGNET, and now moved on to complain about JLUG (my two favourite forums, incidentally), can I ask you what site you plan to complain about next? Wikipedia? Cheers Richie Dulin JLUG Community Overlooker (18 years ago, 23-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) Complaining about Classic Space Forums gets my vote, but I'm open to reading complaints about Legofan if that takes your fancy. Allister (18 years ago, 24-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) Nah. Too much like shooting fish in a barrel for my taste. Cheers Richie Dulin CSF Non-grokker. (18 years ago, 24-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) Chris, Please in future be careful linking to JLUG as some of the slogans are of an adult nature and this is supposed to be a family friendly site. Trust me when I say I know what I am talking about. I have probably posted the most horrible, (...) (18 years ago, 24-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) I did not complain about LUGNET. I simply commented that participation here is down, and that I hope this forum will return to some semblance of its former self. (Please note that the subject line of (URL) my post on that topic> was phrased as (...) (18 years ago, 24-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) Gee, when I see how some of the folks on JLUG seem to enjoy troll-baiting people who you absolutely know will overreact, I would expect that shooting fish in a barrel is exactly the sport you savor. (18 years ago, 24-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) It used to be, but we gave up the hobby when they changed the colour of the fish to bley. (18 years ago, 24-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) I know exactly what you mean. I'm feeling a little bit of the same thing right now. (18 years ago, 24-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) Although you've left me with quite a bit of snipping to do anyway. (...) And if this were JLUGNET, then I might be compelled to agree. From my perspective, this particular discussion is entirely relevant here on LUGNET, since it is based on my (...) (18 years ago, 24-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) ... (...) ... (...) So tell us Chris, and be honest - where did the bad Janey touch you? (18 years ago, 24-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) Thank you very much for stating your position about credibility of JLUG members. I'm happy to inform you that the opinion of yourself about me (as being one of the active members of JLUG) is highly appreciated and from now on, it will be taken (...) (18 years ago, 24-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) -snip- (...) Well, Chris, please accept my apologies for misunderstanding you on both of these points. I will endeavour to grok your future posts better. (...) Yes, I've noticed a difference between the remarks that people post here with the (...) (18 years ago, 24-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) I read again to better grok what you say here and come up with a question to ask. Do you really show, right at this moment, "least bit of remorse"? If not, could you please enlighten us which of the following is true: 1. Sentences like "It (...) (18 years ago, 24-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Selçuk Göre wrote: <snip> (...) I vote Chris But I always vote for Chris... Anyway, if I don't like a website, you know what I do? I never visit it. And if I never visit it, then I don't care what happens there. It's like (...) (18 years ago, 24-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) But what about the cliques you want to belong to but aren't allowed to? Tim (18 years ago, 24-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) Tim, Do you mean this in a general sense or are you specifically referring to JLUG? A person has to consider why they want to join a clique. If it is to change the group and its dynamic, then they may be in for trouble. And yes, I agree there (...) (18 years ago, 24-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) I was meaning generally. I am a member of the JLUG clique (I think) Tim (18 years ago, 24-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) I do feel remorse (and many other emotions) about having started this thread. But that doesn't mean that I don't stand 100% behind every word I have written. I leave it to you to decipher when I am being sincere vs. when I am being sarcastic. (...) (18 years ago, 24-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) Agreed. Unfortunately, I wouldn't have any way of knowing whether I liked the site unless I had visited there. But I certainly plan to buy less of their product in the future. (...) I agree. And I certainly plan to buy less of their product in (...) (18 years ago, 24-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) In retrospect its not a clique, because that implies exclusion, whereas you only have to show an interest in Lego to join AFAIK Tim (18 years ago, 25-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) Oh well. It was a nice troll nonetheless, and we all had fun. (18 years ago, 25-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) For someone who dislikes JLUG so much, you certainly seem to be quite aware of our CTOPs. Why would you bother going through all the trouble of looking them up if you didn't like JLUG from the outset? And why do you use them so often if the (...) (18 years ago, 25-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) The use of CTOPs on JLUG is so prevalent that I found it impossible to evaluate the content without knowing what they meant. But the JLUG FAQ has a link to Richie Dulin's (URL) secret decoder ring> (which is hosted here on LUGNET, BTW) so it (...) (18 years ago, 25-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) If it is not the obvious, then the intention must be something myterious that we mere mortals cannot comprehend...hmmm...still don't know... (...) Oh, no, it's not necessary. My hide is rather thick (especially when compared to yours, (...) (18 years ago, 25-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) CTOPs are there for the benefit of the whole Community, not just Jlug, so it's good to see them getting wider use. All up, I'd say this thread has been pretty good for Jlug, CTOPs and for the Community as a whole [1]. Cheers, Allister [1] (...) (18 years ago, 25-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) If it didn't bother you, then I am not really sure why we are having this discussion. Now I'm going to sound like O.J. Simpson, but if I wanted to be hurtful to the people on JLUG, I think I would've had to do a lot better than that. (...) (...) (18 years ago, 26-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) Don't worry. Lar seems to have moved on, although I'm not sure if he's interanlised things. (18 years ago, 27-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) By recalling who is trolling who in the first place, your state of being not really sure why we are having this discussion sent my ironymeter out of range. I don't know about your motives, but I'm having this just for fun. I couldn't pass such (...) (18 years ago, 27-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) You can always tell the other guy is running out of bait when he starts using cuss-words. (...) Huh. Was somebody actually keeping score? I guess your irony meter really is broken. You've proved my original point better than I ever could have. (...) (18 years ago, 28-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) You should join Jlug. It's like this all the time. (18 years ago, 28-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) Bley?.. heh, nice touch. I think I can live with that. Since I haven't heard a real one from you, yet, I assume we still have a margin of safety to play with. And you obviously will not hear any from me, either. As you might already know, we (...) (18 years ago, 28-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) Regarding this image of your LSF: (URL) That is way too neat...how do you keep it that way? It looks like a pain in the patootie to get to the bottom (NPI) bins! (18 years ago, 28-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keen Observers of Community...

(...) Now, at least one person grokked the reason behind my long time lazyness in creating MOCs..:-) Cheers, Selçuk (18 years ago, 28-Nov-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)