 Off-Topic / Debate / 26968
Re: Repost, for the benefit of those on newsreaders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 14:24:06 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl wrote:

John wrote:

   Have it your way, Burger King, but I still say it is a waste of time and energy. Dems should be focusing on the future fate of their party, because it is a mess from my viewpoint.

So in other words you have no problem with a voting system that is rigged?

That’s my whole point, Tom! The election wasn’t rigged, for pete’s sake! Why is it that every time the Dems loose it must be due to fraud? Deal with reality! Dems should be more worried that their party has been hijacked by Lefty wackos like Howard Dean MM and George Soros. That is the problem.

On the contrary--the problem facing the Democratic party is that it has too long embraced a policy of placating the Republicans in the hope of catching some right-leaning moderates. As a result, the party has compromised its identity.

What do you think should be the platforms of the Democratic Party?

   It is NOT a waste of time and energy to track down voting fraud, as it will make it harder to do the same in the future.

But it is a waste of time and energy to look for something that simply isn’t there, which apparently is easier than accepting the painful truth that America is more and more rejecting the Democratic party.

On what basis, other than the assertion of devoted Conservatives, do you conclude that nothing is there? Do you have some evidence, or are you taking their assertion on faith because it meshes with your preferences?

My evidence of nothing? Better, where is the evidence of wrongdoing?

   to the detainees (who’ve been held without documented justificaation and tortured),

I trust that any treatment given to detainees is either better than they deserve or justly deserved, and thus won’t apologize to them.

That’s pure witnessing, and it assumes a moral authority that the United States never had to begin with, much less now.

I disagree. These people fought against US forces. They are enemies of the state.

   Who is we?

The United States of America.

   And what is our culture?

It is what it is.

Such a stunning non-answer.

Really? Perhaps you would like to define it, if you can (if it’s even possible). I meant what I said: whatever our culture is at the moment, that is what it is. I don’t know how else to describe it.

That’s asinine. You declared in your previous post that Arabs hate our culture, and yet you now declare that our culture can’t be defined beyond an impotent “is what it is” legalistic orwellism. That speaks of a self-serving fatalism in which “they” will always hate “us,” so that we might as well keep on killing them.

They hate materialism. They hate Capitalism. The hate Democracy. They hate secularism. We are all of that. They will always hate that, yes.

   It is a war of values. Other nations oppose Capitalism, but mostly they oppose our values. I object to the alarming loss of values in our country. But I work to instill and restore good values, not incinerate those with whom I disagree.

Your beloved President engaged in a policy of civilian incineration during the seige of Falujah, so your grandstanding here is both irrelevant and poorly timed.

To require no civilian loss in war is so disengenuous. Innocents will be killed in war. Fact of life.

   Additionally, since you claim that our culture can’t be defined (yet you are willing to claim that we are hated for it), would you care to define our values? Not your values, and not my values, but our values--what are they, again?

Boiled down-- Freedom. We value freedom above all. They value death above all.

   Again with the fraud. It’s interesting-- I remember Dems talking about Diebold fraud months before the election. Forget it, Tom. It’s a canard. I am trying to give you some good advice, but I know that you will never accept the truth because it is simply too painful. Why else cling to the notion without tangible evidence so tenaciously?

John, this statement is uncharacteristically arrogant of you--what’s going on here?

I’m tired of Dems complaining about election fraud. It gets old after 6 years...

   You simply are not in a position to absolve Diebold of guilt, and--since Diebold is on record declaring that it would “give Ohio” to the President, the burden is on Diebold, with its absolute secrecy and nonexistent accountability, to demonstrate that no wrongdoing occurred. Until this is demonstrated, suspicions about Diebold’s role in the election are justified.

Fine. As I stated before, I believe it is a waste of time. The future of the party should be the focus.

<snip>

   No, Tom. What I call a disaster is a nuke denotated in either LA or NYC or both. Your list above looks like chump change by comparison.

Irrelevant. Hussein was known not to possess nuclear weapons,

Thanks to an illegal attack by Israel...

   and everything we know about him indicates that, if he’d had them, he would not have given them to terrorists out of his control.

HA! Thanks for that laugh. Sorry, I’m afraid I’m not willing to risk our security on some pop psychologist’s eval of SH!

   You’re simply parroting the party’s talking points about Saddam-shaped mushroom clouds, and it’s still a deliberate falsehood.

Do you deny that he was seeking to possess nukes?

   We will hemhorrage money until we’re bankrupt, if idiots like Bush continue to make it into office. How we can be so arrogant as to think we can’t be spent into the ground like the USSR was, is beyond me.

We can’t afford not to throw everything we have at terrorism at this juncture in order to thwart the unthinkable in the future.

That’s foolish. In terms of lives lost, the spread of HIV is a far greater problem in the US and elsewhere, yet the money spend on research for a cure is nary a pittance next to the obsence sums handed over to defense contractors.

The defense contractors DO provide things in return...

   Even if the goal is to combat the source of terrorism, then killing even a million terrorists would be futile, as long as the source remains. As such, we will continue to hemhorrage money until we as a nation recognize that Dubya’s strategy is entirely ill-suited to the task at hand.

What do you say is the source?

JOHN