 Off-Topic / Debate / 26973
Re: Repost, for the benefit of those on newsreaders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 01:31:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl wrote:

John wrote:

The basic freedom of being with your spouse in the hospital. Maybe not consitutional, but I would consider this a basic freedom.

And on that point we wholeheartedly agree. I just see that as a short-sighted hospital policy that has nothing to do with government.

   That’s what you’d like to believe, I know. I thought the Left was all about “nuances”. You seem to like black and white a lot...

Gay Marriage.

Relevant.

Thanks for actually admitting it.

Ha, that must have been some sort of Freudian slip:-) I don’t really want to slog through the issue of gay marriage again, at least not at this time. Call me a bigot, whatever you have to. But remember this: recognizing any kind of marriage by the government is by definition discriminitory-- that is the whole point. And even if the government defines marriage as “the union between 2 people” instead of “1 man and 1 woman”, there is still discrimination going on (can’t you hear the polygamists screaming in the background?) So, basically, either government makes some sort of discrimination, or doesn’t recognize the institution at all. Some have advocated this, like Dave! I think that isn’t such a good idea for the good of our society.

   No evidence is forthcoming because the machines deny such evidence, or the gubmint won’t release it. How convenient for your hawks.

Part of defending liberty is recognizing the threats to it. On that we disagree.

Oh, I recognize the threats. I just disagree with you on which threats are bigger. Bush is a definitely a bigger threat to my freedom than SH was.

Then we can agree to disagree. But I have a feeling that this country will somehow survive a second Bush administration rather easily.

JOHN