 Off-Topic / Debate / 25014
Re: American Idolatry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 16:09:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

   On a side note, does LUGNET’s censorious stance on profanity permit these juvenile, if clever work-arounds like A-hole and F-bomb? If so, what’s the point?

It looks like using the a-word is ~ok~.

No. Your search does not demonstrate that it is necessarily OK or not OK, it merely unearthed incidents of use.

The only conclusion to draw there is that the admins chose not to take action for whatever reason, not that using it is necessarily OK or not OK. No waiver of the rule should be inferred or implied from a particular non enforcement action.

I will take up the question of whether it, or the bowdlerization for it in common use here is or isn’t OK and report back, if it’s really necessary that I do so.

And this IS an official answer.