 Off-Topic / Debate / 25007
Re: American Idolatry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:19:02 GMT

   On a side note, does LUGNET’s censorious stance on profanity permit these juvenile, if clever work-arounds like A-hole and F-bomb? If so, what’s the point?

The point is civility. We dance around those terms as a way of showing respect to each other. We recognize that these terms are mean-spirited and vulgar and have no place in civil discourse, if even to type them for the sake of discussion. You may feel that that is silly, but that is what being civilized is all about.

OK, so here’s how I see it. When I see A s s h o l e printed out, I think that world to myself. When I see A-hole printed out, I think the same exact word to myself and just a little side-adendum in my mind about why they used that (local policy, dorky writer, etc). So to my perception, the same word was typed.

Is it really more civil for you to call me an a-hole?

Chris