 Off-Topic / Debate / 24978
Re: American Idolatry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 04:55:25 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote:
   You can’t tell someone to go copulate with themselves and expect respect in return.

So you agree that Dick Cheney doesn’t deserve our respect?

If he ever says it personally to you or me; no.

Oh, so it’s only on the floor of the US Senate that he deserves no respect.

The Senate wasn’t in session at the time.

Oh, well it must be OK then.

   You aren’t implying that Cheney is the only member of the Senate to have ever dropped the F-bomb are you? Because if that is the case, we shouldn’t respect any of them. Hey.... :-)

F-no, but the fact is, resorting to such an angry retort is the last resort of someone who cannot justify their actions with reason. Allow me to illustrate with a recent anecdote...

I got a flat tire on my car on the highway today shortly before noon. I pulled over into the breakdown lane, climbed out the passenger-side door and cautiously began changing the tire with one eye on the oncoming traffic. About halfway thorugh the 10-minute job, I saw a car speeding toward me in the breakdown lane! (On that particular stretch of highway, breakdown lane travel is permitted during specific rush hours, but this was not one of them, and there was almost no traffic in the other lanes.) Not wishing to be killed, I stepped back from my car and began signaling frantically to the driver to slow down. At the last minute, the car swerved into the right lane, and the passenger stuck his head out the open window and yelled “F-off” at me, to which I replied “this is the breakdown lane!” As the car disappeared into the distance, my attempts to make note of the license plate were distracted by the pro-Bush bumper stickers.

Those idiots had no reason to be speeding along in the breakdown lane, and they could have caused serious injury to everyone involved. The only thing they could think of to say in order to justify this selfish and stupid behavior was to drop the F-bomb.

So the veep took a hit for being a hypocrite, and his best response was “go .... yourself?” Sounds like Senator Leahy hit a nerve, no?

- Chris.