 Off-Topic / Debate / 24947
Re: American Idolatry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:01:30 GMT

   It is ridiculous that a nation purporting to cherish freedom of expression should choose to restrict that freedom in such a pointedly ironic fashion.

As I have said before, this is what happens when you have freedom without responsibility. Flag burning is a particularily unpatriotic and pointedly antagonistic expression of dissatisfaction that is frankly irresponsible. You can’t tell someone to go copulate with themselves and expect respect in return. There certainly is a line where freedom of action becomes sedition; these people are merely trying to define it along the stripes of the symbol of our country.

This is an issue of the growing incivility and irresponsible and disrespectful attitudes in this country and much as it is anything else.

JOHN