 Off-Topic / Debate / 22891
Re: Remember the Axis of Evil? [may offend]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 20:56:10 GMT

   I say as long as the pendulum doesn’t get too far to either extreme, we’ll do pretty much okay. Right now Dubya and cronies are taking it too far one way, and people are starting to balk.

I would analyze the “swing to the right” in the US a little differently. We have been moving very left in about all ways for the past decade, and now that things are heading back to the right, the Left is crying about the departure. We are hardly very far past middle at this point, but it may seem like a long way from a view on the far left.

I would suggest that, based on anything visible in the past few elections, it’s hard to say that the population is moving to the Right. The 2000 election (with very high turnout) showed a Centrist tend with a split straight down the middle (well, favoring Gore, of course, but I digress!). The 2002 elections had about 50% turnout, of which a slim majority voted Republican. That means that maybe 26% of the voting populace can be said to have supported Republican candidates in 2002, which is hardly a “swing to the Right.”

If the nation can be said to have moved to the Right at all since 2000, it may be largely attributed to Dubya’s commandeering of 9/11 as a tool of campaign propaganda, not to mention the 24/7 trumpeting of Republican doctrine by such objective media sources as Fox News.

Regardless of the underlying political leanings of the public, I will admit that Republicans (and far-Right Conservatives in particular) are much better at controlling the language of public information and debate than are the Democrats. That’s not an endorsement of Conservative policy, nor is it a statement of support of Conservative methods (far from it!), but it is a fact, regrettably, and must be dealt with as such.

Dave!