 Off-Topic / Debate / 22889
Re: Remember the Axis of Evil? [may offend]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 20:49:54 GMT

   I say as long as the pendulum doesn’t get too far to either extreme, we’ll do pretty much okay. Right now Dubya and cronies are taking it too far one way, and people are starting to balk.

I would analyze the “swing to the right” in the US a little differently. We have been moving very left in about all ways for the past decade, and now that things are heading back to the right, the Left is crying about the departure. We are hardly very far past middle at this point, but it may seem like a long way from a view on the far left.

JOHN

Beyond the current political issues, do we agree on the base axiom that there is a ‘pendulum motion’ in the course of events--in the physical world, we could look to nature, in which, when the rabbit population increases, the ‘predators of rabbits’ will then subsequently increase. Then, probably, the rabbit population will decrease, then, subsequently, so will the predators.

Unless there is ‘human’ (read ‘intelligent’) intervention, like Austrailia and rabbits...

Boiled down to the simplest form, to be sure, but it appears that the ‘pendulum motion’ applies to almost everything--there is hardly ever a ‘true equilibrium’, in which the numbers remain constant, neither expanding or diminishing. And if a pendulum motion is involved, there is always a direction, whether up or down, left or right, backwards or forwards. In which case there can also be ‘predictability’--we can predict how many rabbits there will be in a given area if we know past data, and factor in current conditions.

Can the same type of ‘predictability’ be used in human-type realms, like politics? Can we predict which way ‘the wind’s a’ blowin’’ years in advance? Kinda like a ‘psychohistory’ a la ‘Foundation’?

Anyway, just thoughts for a Monday afternoon...

Dave K