 Off-Topic / Debate / 22588
Re: Ecce Homo -- Mel Gibson's Passion (more fluff, sorta...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:54:12 GMT

Looks like Mel caved after all...

The last bit I saw on this yesterday on CNN claimed the film would release on Ash Wednesday next year with subtitles.

::sigh::

Maybe the DVD will release the originally intended, non-subtitled version. Then again, while most DVDs have a subtitles on/off option, I guess it’s possible they could release only a subtitles on version.

This sort of reminds me of an old love -- of comic books. In many of the comics I loved as a youth there might occasionally be short or even long passages of purely graphic narrative without any text whatever! Adding subtitles to this film, apparently cinematographically intended to stand alone and without subtitles, would be like adding in text to those previously textless comic book passages. To my mind such a thing would diminish the work of the many comic greats that occasionally employed the textless technique, such as Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Jim Steranko, Craig Russell, Berni Wrightson, Frank Miller, Chester Brown, etc. -- just to name a few.

There’s every reason to make the artistic choice to omit words, or even to use existing words as noise or a kind of aural landscape against which other elements of a composition work. I have understood that Brian Eno uses words as much for the sound of those words than as for their specific meaning. Now maybe Eno is being falsely “artsy” but it’s a technique that has been picked up in earnest by the likes of Throbbing Gristle and Philip Glass in whose music the repetition or layered inaudibility of words is obviously intended to destroy the meaning of the words used and point up the musical potential of the words as sounds. It’s not really as complicated as it seems, this is very much like listening to opera when you do not know the language in the music. I mean, I do not understand much French myself, so when I listen to Delibes its mostly about sound anyway -- even if that wasn’t an intended consequence on the part of the composer.

I think the use of largely dead languages and Mel’s supposedly uncompromising adaptation of the material were a kind of artistic masterstroke that is obviously now being water-down by the usual art-killers a.k.a. distribitors and censors.

It’s a pity.

I suppose it’s doubtful that Mel will make a public statement about how accurately the resulting and released film actually reflects his original intentions. There’s always that nagging need to make money even though he spent his own money making the movie and doesn’t probably need any more money to live rich the rest of his life. As far as I can see, Mel by reason of his wealth and status as a famous and acclaimed actor/director had the means to maintain total “Kubrick-like” control in this situation. Why did he cave?

-- Hop-Frog