 Off-Topic / Debate / 22606
Re: Ecce Homo -- Mel Gibson's Passion (more fluff, sorta...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:18:35 GMT

   David Lynch is a consistent source of quality films (well, let’s ignore Dune for now)

In no particular order and not limited by national boundries, I give you...

Thee List:

01. Prospero’s Books (Greenaway) -- There’s simply nothing else like it
02. Hamlet (Branagh) -- Closest film adaptation yet! Sorry, Mel -- not even close...
03. Crash (Cronenberg, Ballard) -- Autoerotic with a twist!
04. The Hudsucker Proxy (Coen Bros.) -- You know, for kids!

We interrupt this list to bring you this special additonal dialogue:
Mail Room Orienter: You punch in at 8:30 every morning, except you punch in at 7:30 following a business holiday, unless it’s a Monday, then you punch in at 8 o’clock. Punch in late and they dock you. Incoming articles get a voucher, outgoing articles provide a voucher. Move any article without a voucher and they dock you. Letter size a green voucher, oversize a yellow voucher, parcel size a maroon voucher. Wrong color voucher and they dock you! 6787049A/6. That is your employee number. It will not be repeated! Without your employee number you cannot get your paycheck. Inter-office mail is code 37, intra-office mail 37-3, outside mail is 3-37. Code it wrong and they dock you! This has been your orientation. Is there anything you do not understand, is there anything you understand only partially? If you have not been fully oriented, you must file a complaint with personnel. File a faulty complaint and they dock you!

05. Salome’s Last Dance (Russell) -- Merde!
06. Brideshead Revisited (Lindsay-Hogg) -- Either 13 hours of boredom, or perfect bliss!
07. The Fortunes and Misfortunes of Moll Flanders (Attwood) -- Awoooo!
08. Fight Club (Fincher) -- I am Jack’s smirking revenge.
09. The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover (Greenaway) -- Michael Nyman scores!
10. Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (Schrader) -- Glass scores! With original voice over by Roy Scheider, not the new terrible one by Schrader himself. Blech.
11. Dark City (Proyas) -- stylish, visually stunning
12. Four Rooms (various) -- Combustible Edison scores, my nod to Tarantino & Rodriguez
13. Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Mitchell) -- The origins of love, or The Banquet!
14. Barry Lyndon (Kubrick) -- Eyecandy everywhere you look
15. All That Jazz (Fosse) -- Here’s an american for you
16. Akira (Otomo) -- Pretty much the last of a breed
17. Titus (Taymor) -- Visually stunning
18. Equus (Lumet) -- “Passion, you see, can be destroyed by a doctor. It cannot be created.“
19. Amadeus (Foreman) -- ” They’re all so beautiful. Why don’t I have three heads?”
20. 1984 (Radford) -- With the original score please, not this new DVD fake one.
21. The Great Train Robbery (Crichton) -- Lesley Anne-Down, oh my heart be still
22. Bound (Wachowski Bros. and Susie Bright) -- Best lesbian film yet made
23. The Usual Suspects (Singer) -- “Keaton once said, ‘I don’t believe in God, but I’m afraid of him.’ Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.“
24. Dangerous Liaisons (Frears) -- “You see, I have no plans to break down her morals. I WANT her to believe in love and virtue and the sancitity of marriage, and still not be able to stop herself. I want the pleasure of watching her betray everything that is important to her.“
25. Latex (Ninn) -- no list is complete without some high production value pornography

Honorable mention:
The Grifters (Frears)
Reservoir Dogs (Tarantino)
Wild at Heart (Lynch)