 Off-Topic / Debate / 22592
Re: Ecce Homo -- Mel Gibson's Passion (more fluff, sorta...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:12:36 GMT

   What flick would someone consider a ‘truly art’ from America? Like “Citizen Kane” or the like?

Could you restate that please?

Are you asking for a list of films that might possibly rise to the level of being called “art”? Does the list have to be composed of strictly american films for some reason?

???

FWIW, I don’t actually subscribe to a definition of art that is actually that high or elitist. At the same time I do think that some people have other, or more serious, intent behind their work than to just make money. There’s nothing wrong with making money, it’s just that it doesn’t often or necessarily lead to the creation of something of lasting value. Of course, there are no absolutes amongst the foregoing assertions...hence no high barrier for calling soemthing “art.” From here we *might* distinguish some things as being low, middle, or high art.

Do you want a list of films that could be considered “high” art?

-- Hop-Frog