 Off-Topic / Debate / 21147
Re: Separation of Church and State
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:08:17 GMT

Richie Dulin wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz wrote:
David Koudys wrote:

In which granite tablets inscribed with the 10 commandments were removed from
school property.

Is this separation or liberalism run amok?

I don't think so. Of course the real solution is to eliminate public
schools. Private schools may do whatever they please in this aspect.

Real solution?

It sounds like a good idea, until one considers the possible results of such a
policy:

Public schools (at least in Australia, and I am led to believe in the US as
well) offer the cheapest education. Most parents want to (if not {have to} - but
I guess one could change that too), send their children to school.

Many parents have to choose the cheapest option, so their children go to the
public school.

Of course, if public schools are eliminated, the cheapest option becomes the
cheapest private school. And who runs the cheapest private schools? Or, put it
another way, which large institutions have the ability to subsidise education
and a desire to educate children in a particular way?

Remember though that all the parents have lower taxes and thus have more
money than before to choose an appropriate private school. Also, there
would be a greater variety of schools, religious and non-religious (and
even a few religious-secular [I'm confident that Unitarian Universalists
would start schools that don't push any religious agenda - though they
would probably be pretty "liberal"]). I suspect a pretty large
percentage of non-parents would also contribute to various schools.
Would the overall pool of money decline? I suspect the pool of
individually contributed money would decline, but it would quickly be
made up for by corporate money. Now some would find this horrible, but
they corporations would be contributing because of a need to get skilled
workers. Public corporations of course are accountable for their
investments, and thus would hold the schools accountable.

There is an assumption that without government control, there would be
no accountability of schools, and they could just turn into corporate
spoonfeeding of future customers. There are two things missing here.
First, if the schools just produced robotic customers and didn't really
teach, the earning (and thus buying) capacity of those students would be
compromised, which would be counter to the needs of the corporation. The
second missing thing is the assumption that without the government, the
public has no capability of demanding accountability. If anything, it
actually has more. Why? Who do you think makes the government
accountable so they hold the schools accountable? Who is going to be
deciding where to spend THEIR money? Who is going to be deciding which
companies to patronize and which to boycott?

Frank