 Off-Topic / Debate / 21105
21104  |  21106
Subject:
Separation of Church and State
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:20:54 GMT

In which granite tablets inscribed with the 10 commandments were removed from
school property.

Is this separation or liberalism run amok?

I dunno.

If, say, I was a teacher at this school, and I had a card with the 10
commandments on my desk, is that violating C & S?

If a child wants to do for her artwork presentation, a pic of Moses hefting the
stone tablets down from the mountain, would that violate the C & S?

If a wealthy member of the community donated these tablets to the school years
ago and the school accepts, is that violating?  (not stated in the article, but
just a hypothetical)

And, as the article shows us, does the wants of the individual outweigh the
wants of the community in general?

I don't have an answer for this--just wondering what you think about it.

Dave K