 Off-Topic / Debate / 21124
Re: Separation of Church and State
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:12:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz wrote:

I think it really depends on the appearance created. Would we require a
Moslem woman to not wear a face covering (excluding legitimate security
concerns that might force the woman to reveal her face in some
circumstances)? I am not concerned about anyone wearing a cross on a
chain around their neck (ok, perhaps if it's huge that's a problem). I
do not have a problem if the teacher keeps a copy of the 10 Comandments
in her desk drawer. I do have a problem if the 10 Comandments are
visible in such a way that a student might believe they were school or
classroom rules they MUST follow. The constitution does not mean that in
order for a Unitarian Universalist to have religious freedom that
Catholics can not be visibly identified (thus demonstrating the huge
difference in populations).

The practising Catholics were always easily identifiable come Ash Wednesday.
You are not supposed to wash the ashes off your forehead (except as a byproduct
of washing yourself in general) and I have never heard of a school forcing them
to wash off the ashes.  I have heard of overly large religious symbols being
asked to be placed underneath a student's shirt or blouse, though.

-->Bruce<--