 Off-Topic / Debate / 21123
21122  |  21124
Subject:
Accountability
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:09:43 GMT

Who’s Accountable?

For example, look at the way the administration rhetorically linked Saddam to Sept. 11. As The Associated Press put it: “The implication from Bush on down was that Saddam supported Osama bin Laden’s network. Iraq and the Sept. 11 attacks frequently were mentioned in the same sentence, even though officials have no good evidence of such a link.” Not only was there no good evidence: according to The New York Times, captured leaders of Al Qaeda explicitly told the C.I.A. that they had not been working with Saddam.

Or look at the affair of the infamous “germ warfare” trailers. I don’t know whether those trailers were intended to produce bioweapons or merely to inflate balloons, as the Iraqis claim - a claim supported by a number of outside experts. (According to the newspaper The Observer, Britain sold Iraq a similar system back in 1987.) What is clear is that an initial report concluding that they were weapons labs was, as one analyst told The Times, “a rushed job and looks political.” President Bush had no business declaring “we have found the weapons of mass destruction.”

We can guess how Mr. Bush came to make that statement. The first teams of analysts told administration officials what they wanted to hear, doubts were brushed aside, and officials then made public pronouncements greatly overstating even what the analysts had said.

snip!

One last point: the Bush administration’s determination to see what it wanted to see led not just to a gross exaggeration of the threat Iraq posed, but to a severe underestimation of the problems of postwar occupation. When Gen. Eric Shinseki, the Army chief of staff, warned that occupying Iraq might require hundreds of thousands of soldiers for an extended period, Paul Wolfowitz said he was “wildly off the mark” - and the secretary of the Army may have been fired for backing up the general. Now a force of 150,000 is stretched thin, facing increasingly frequent guerrilla attacks, and a senior officer told The Washington Post that it might be two years before an Iraqi government takes over. The Independent reports that British military chiefs are resisting calls to send more forces, fearing being “sucked into a quagmire.”

I’ll tell you what’s outrageous. It’s not the fact that people are criticizing the administration; it’s the fact that nobody is being held accountable for misleading the nation into war.

Blair Could Be Bush’s First Fall Guy for Iraq

Most of the blame for this cut-and- paste dossier has been placed on Blair’s closest aide, a former tabloid journalist named Alastair Campbell, who believes himself to be a master manipulator of public opinion. The calls for Campbell’s dismissal are growing, and his departure would be a thunderous blow to Blair himself.

Possibly the weapons of mass destruction will be found. If not, Blair will be in very big trouble. He dragged an unwilling nation into war by convincing most undecided voters that, on balance, it was necessary. If they become convinced that he exaggerated the facts and bent the data in order to send young men to their deaths in a pointless war, they will be deeply unwilling to believe him again. Blair has always had a reputation of a high-wire walker with the truth. If he topples now, there may be no safety net waiting.

-- Hop-Frog