 Off-Topic / Debate / 21107
Re: Separation of Church and State
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:59:13 GMT

David Koudys wrote:

In which granite tablets inscribed with the 10 commandments were removed from
school property.

Is this separation or liberalism run amok?

I don't think so. Of course the real solution is to eliminate public
schools. Private schools may do whatever they please in this aspect.

If, say, I was a teacher at this school, and I had a card with the 10
commandments on my desk, is that violating C & S?

It depends. If it was in a position that didn't suggest the students
should follow it, it would probably be ok. A posting of the 10
commandments in a social studies class along with similar postings from
other religions would probably be ok (religion IS part of history so you
can't teach history without reference to religion).

If a child wants to do for her artwork presentation, a pic of Moses hefting the
stone tablets down from the mountain, would that violate the C & S?

No (and some recent situations where students have been not allowed to
use relgiious themes are wrong).

If a wealthy member of the community donated these tablets to the school years
ago and the school accepts, is that violating?  (not stated in the article, but
just a hypothetical)

Yes.

And, as the article shows us, does the wants of the individual outweigh the
wants of the community in general?

If a majoroity wanted the state religion to be a different religion that
yours, and voted it in, and voted that that religion should be promoted
everywhere, would that be ok?

The government has no business mandating, or appearing to mandate
religion. The 10 commandments posted in a prominent position appears to
mandate religion (the cases where it's posted in courts are even worse
since there it may suggest jurors in that court to follow the 10
commandments and/or the bible in their deliberations, not the law).

Frank