 Off-Topic / Debate / 21148
Re: Unscientific AOL Shrub Credability Poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:20:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   ‘Traces’ the ‘route’ from your system to the destination system, the number of ‘hops’, how long it took, and lists the IP address as well as the DNS entry (if there is one)

Hmmm, I tried this first thing before, and it didn’t work -- I must have mistyped something. In UNIX it’s actually “traceroute”.

But yeah, I just tried it again for lugnet and it worked perfectly. Many thanks.

Exactly what I had in mind.

-- Hop-Frog

We have a branch out in Windsor that lost its WAN connection--

AT&T were blaming the Bell guys--saying it was the actual phone lines,

Bell was blaming the AT&T guys, saying it was the ‘cloud’ (but all our other branches were still working thru the ‘cloud)

Tracert got to the router in the branch, Ping got to the branch, but no ‘higher level’ programs worked, such as Outlook, Internet, and our network apps...

So I drove out to the branch (a 4 hour drive), to see what I could do--found out that the LAN was fine, the Router was fine and the Cloud was fine, so it was the connection b/w the cloud and the router.

Took about a week of testing and talking and explaining the same story to about a dozen different technicians from AT&T and Bell...

Tunred out that one day a local Telco guy drove out to the telephone junction box out by the road, switched a 6 inch phone wire and we were up and running again.

Seems some moisture got into the box and corroded the connectors.

A week down because of a 6 inch piece of wire...

But that’s the life of a techie.

Dave K